Wednesday 2 September 2009

The Singing Detective




Before I go any further, this isn't the 2003 Hollywood version of 'The Singing Detective' - that soundtrack has probably got 'New Kids on the Block' on it or some rapping.

This is mostly pre-war stuff, but who cares? There's some very laid-back music here.

There are also two of the most famous songs from WWII - Lili Marlene (sung here in both English and German no less!) and Vera Lynn's crowning glory, with another tedious yarn..
During the early years of the war, things were tough for everyone - including Vera Lynn. Like most, she would suppliment her rations by eating any hedgehogs or rabbits she found run over by cars in the road. But even this food source became scarce, and prompted the line 'Wheel meat again, don't know where, don't know when..'

I joke about rapping, but there seems to be a mid-song talky bit in The Ink Spots' 'Do I Worry?' - do they think they're 2Unlimited or what?

The Singing Detective
56Mb

Ripped by Slothy@128kbps mono (same quality as 256kbps stereo)

3 comments:

  1. been looking for this for ages! thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slothy,

    Am I glad I found your blog:
    Although I still have the vinyl LP, me too I was searching for this!
    Thing is, I don't have needles for my phono and am too lazy (!) to search where I can find any.
    Anyway, thanks a million for sharing, I do very much appreciated it.

    Cheers, ;)
    Eric

    ReplyDelete